by Laura Nathan-Garner
Family health. It sounds like a contradiction. After all, who's got time to exercise and cook healthy meals when you've got a family?
But we learn many of our diet and exercise habits from our parents. Close to two-thirds of adults and one-third of kids in the United States are overweight or obese. That's a lot of kids learning unhealthy habits and missing the chance to prevent cancer by eating healthy and exercising regularly.
This is why the story of MD Anderson employee Elit Gonzalez is so impressive: After her Type-2 diabetes got out-of-control, Elit made exercise and healthy eating her top priorities. Nine months later, she's lost 50 pounds, her husband and mother have both lost 30 pounds, and her two young sons read nutrition labels. You can find out how to follow the Gonzalez family's lead in this month's issue of Focused on Health.
You'll also find tips on how to make your next road trip healthy and how to help your parents prevent cancer, along with insight on new sunscreen worries and a video featuring proven advice on the Power of Sustainable Changes in Diet & Lifestyle from Dean Ornish, M.D.
What are you doing to boost your family's health this summer?
Making Good Health a Family Affair
by Laura Nathan-Garner
Connect on social media
- Participating in a clinical trial for CLL treatment: What it's really like
- My metastatic breast cancer recurrence: "You first" and other lessons
- Love, interrupted: How mantle cell lymphoma affected a 30-year reunion
- 3 nutrition tips for cancer caregivers
- Oncology nurse: How my family's cancer journey changed me
- Lung cancer survivor reflects on "a whole new life"
- CLL patient experiences "life the way it's supposed to be"
- After AML, survivor continues to be a channel of blessings
- Ovarian cancer survivor offers hope for new patients
- A year of progress for our Moon Shots Program
- Cancer Prevention (122)
- Cancer Research (142)
- Education (71)
- Patient Care (313)
- Global Navigation
- About Us
- How You Can Help
- Children's Art Project
- Contact Us
- Patient and Cancer Information
- Cancer Information
- Patient Information
- Care Centers & Clinics
- Children’s Cancer Hospital
- Services & Amenities
- Clinical Trials
- News and Publications
- Education and Research
- Departments, Programs & Labs
- Research at MD Anderson
- Education & Training
- Resources for Professionals
- For Employees
- Employee Resources
- Doing Business
- Vendors & Suppliers
- Partners & Affiliates
- State of Texas
- State of Texas Home Page
- Statewide Search (TRAIL)
- State Comptroller - Where the Money Goes
- Texas Homeland Security
- The University of Texas System
- Institution Resume
- Legal and Policy
- Legal Statements & Site Policies
- Stay Connected
- Emergency Alerts
- Emergency Alert Information