Masthead

What Does Survivorship Mean to You?

| Comments (3)

This week at MD Anderson, we took time to celebrate cancer survivors and their caregivers. There were decorations, lapel pins and all types of activities in common areas all over the hospital. But the atmosphere of celebration and hope truly resonated from the survivors who joined us for the festivities.

We asked a few who joined us for one of the art sessions, "what does cancer survivorship mean to you?"

3 Comments

Survivorship is a great thing to celebrate. It means overcoming the symptoms and side effects of cancer both physically and emotionally. In addition to celebrating, I think survivorship also represents an opportunity to reach out to others with the same condition, sharing with them what you have found to be helpful over the course of treatment. I encourage all who are breast cancer survivors to learn more and join this international movement at http://www.breastcancerregistry.org.

Comments from Facebook.com/mdanderson

S. Willheit Frederickson
So far so good for me...I go next week to have my 6 month follow up testing at M. D. Anderson. If all is well, it will be 3 years cancer free in July!! Hope all is well with me, and all of you all as well....
6/11/2010 at 4:49pm

T. Davenport Hardee
Great news, Sharon! We are currently helping a friend from Dallas with his treatment at MDA. Hopefully there will be good news for him too :) Just had a major breakthrough for his rare form of cancer, the docs are very excited.
6/11/2010 at 5:06pm

Emily Dice
I'm an M.D. Anderson 5 year survivor of locally advanced stage IIIb breast cancer. Thrilled to be here!
6/11/2010 at 8:13pm

J. Jones
Got a good report today! No evidence! 2 Years!
6/11/2010 at 9:37pm

T. Ironhead Red Ranges
I am a 1 year 5 month survivor of Renal Cell Carcinoma (Stage 2) as well as an employee of MD Anderson. I am truly blessed to be a patient and employee!
6/12/2010 at 12:01am

E. Dice
Me too, Tammi! Proud of both, and blessed by both.
6/12/2010at 12:17am

L. Anderson Kelly
I am a 10 year survivor of breast cancer and a 7 year survivor of CML. Am truly grateful for all the advances made in the treatment of both!
6/12/2010at 8:39am

R. Flores
Wow so blessed to be 7 year cervical cancer survivor.
6/12/2010 at 11:34am

Stage IIIb RCC nephrectomy on 16 Jul 08 by Dr. Matin. Results indicated clean lymph nodes. First year, every 3 months with no metastisis. Second year coming up with every 4 months - no metastasis evident. Am I a survivor, in remission, or just waiting for the "hammer to fall". The mental weight is a problem, but I am living life with the idea that I didn't die in VN (3 tours), so let's get on with it. THANKS to MDACC for everything!!