By Lori Baker, MD Anderson Staff Writer
Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center opens its doors to patients today, Monday, Sept. 26. The center, located just outside of Phoenix, represents MD Anderson's first full clinical extension outside the Houston area.
"Today's opening is a milestone in our mission to eliminate cancer," says Ronald DePinho, M.D., president of MD Anderson.
Initially, inpatient services will be provided in 76 beds at Banner Gateway Medical Center, and outpatient services will be offered in a newly constructed, three-story facility that includes:
- 30 multispecialty clinical exam rooms
- 12 private infusion therapy rooms and 28 open infusion bays
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging equipment including PET- CT, MRI, and CT modalities
- Three linear accelerator vaults
- One high-dose-rate brachytherapy vault
Banner MD Anderson opens with more than 200 employees, including physicians, nurses, radiation oncology, and other medical and support workers.
Margaret Row, M.D., associate vice president for MD Anderson's Center for Global Oncology, describes the relationship between MD Anderson and Banner Health.